Thursday, November 13, 2008

An Unexpected Change of Plans

This is the most won-der-ful time of the year. Last night, I finally donned my sacred Rod Brind'Amour jersey and headed out the door for my first Hurricanes game of the season. I've been traveling a bunch lately, and last night was the first night that both the 'Canes and myself were at home in this young season, so I decided I was well overdue for a BBQ sandwich, a hockey game, and of course the Storm Squad.

I stopped at Chris' house first, since he lives comparatively close to the RBC Center. I managed to keep his maniacal dogs from ripping my jersey to shreds long enough to pound a beer and head out the door just about an hour before game time. The best thing about driving to 'Canes games is listening to the pregame show on 99.9 and getting pumped up. Mike Maniscalco was joined by the television voice of the Hurricanes, the esteemed John Forslund, and they were talking X's and O's, going on about how the team really needs to come out with a passionate effort tonight to get back on the winning track. The home team was playing the rival Washington Capitals, and last night figured to be payback for a tough loss they handed us up in D.C. last week.

That damn green Camry is pulling out, isn't it? What the hell is he (slam on brakes) thinking, right in the middle of the road? I don't think I -- !!!WHAM!!!

Just that quick, I had come to an abrubt unscheduled stop amidst a cloud of tire and engine smoke, and I was now staring out my front winshield at the remnants of what used to be my Civic's front end. Some of it was now neatly crammed into the left-front corner of the aforementioned Camry. It wasn't my fault.

I had been driving down Lynn Road in Raleigh, going about my business in the left straight lane. There was a car directly on my right side, and he or she was slowing to make a right turn at the upcoming side street. Our villain was on the side street to my right, trying to pull out and make a left on Lynn. Unfortunately, he only saw the turning car and failed to notice that I was in the next lane over, buzzing along merrily at 50 MPH. So he just pulled on out and then inexplicably came to a stop directly in front of me. I left about 75 feet of skid marks, but it was to no avail as I slammed into his front end at somewhere between 25-30 MPH. I can kind of understand the situation he was in, because it is a tricky one. But, that's the spot where I would think a competent driver would exercise even more caution and awareness. Like me... I will never cause an accident like that, because I know enough to be aware for that kind of shit. I know enough to take care on the other side too, to watch for people pulling out in that spot. I was completely alert, and as soon as he entered my field of vision, I was hard on the brakes immediately.

So there I sat, waiting patiently for the police to show up. And waiting. When I hit the guy, I was immediately calm, but admittedly a little shaken up. I did a quick damage assessment to make sure all of my extremities were still attached and functional, and got out to check on the other guy calmly. As the minutes ticked by though, the shake-up wore off, and I started to steam pretty good. I just wanted the cops to get there so I could go home. The ironic thing is that we were in an area that is normally teeming with law enforcement night and day, and it's a spot where I always watch my speed. Now though, when I needed one, the cops were nowhere to be found. In the middle of Raleigh.

I know time always goes slower in these situations, but it was at least 35 minutes of standing precariously in the road before anyone showed up. My car would start, but the transmission fluid was all over the pavement, so I couldn't move it. From what I understand, transmission fluid works best when it's actually inside the transmission. Finally, a set of blue lights came around the corner, and Officer Friendly had arrived to save the day. Or something like that. He ended up giving the other driver a ticket for "Failure to See," and sent him on his way with what will certainly be a $25 fine. And of course, his car was almost unscathed (see photo). I watched him drive away while a big-ass wrecker was winching my poor car up onto the flatbed.

I'm not sure if my ride is going to be totaled or not. My '01 Civic was worth about $7,000, and I think the damage will come pretty close to that number. It needs more than body work; there's a good bit of damage to the engine too. Honestly, it would probably be best if it were totaled. Which means I may never see that car again.

I loved that car.



P.S. I made it back to Chris' at 7:08pm, right as they were dropping the puck at the RBC Center. The 'Canes got routed 5-1 by the Caps, so it was apparently set up to be a disappointing night for me, whether I made it to the game or not. I'm still steaming.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pojo said...

Glad to hear you're alright, mate. Stupid, idiot, drivers.

November 13, 2008 at 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough break, guy. Glad to know you're alright, even if the car's not. Pimpin rims though. I wasn't aware ANYONE went to Whalers - er, Canes - games.

February 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger wellnesspitch said...

Mind-blowing phenomenon is a legend. Independent ventures should get this fundamental reality. By and large, when another business begins selling via virtual entertainment, there is obvious energy is accomplishing WellNesspitch than set designated deals. Organizations need to define objectives which are upwards and forward.

March 28, 2022 at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home