Monday, June 16, 2008

The Italian Pirate and Clubbing Under the Stars

Once again, the trend of posting only on my day off continues. I will try to do better with that, but it's really the only slice of free time I have lately. On work days, I usually wake up about two hours before I have to start work, whether it's noon or 3:00pm. Get up, get dressed, drive to the Rio. The days go on forever, and I usually get off sometime between 2:00am and 6:00am. It's not always the extremes, but a noon to 6:00am day leaves little time for blogging. My roommate finds time to update his blog regularly though... somehow.

Speaking of the roommate, he and I covered the final table of Event #24 yesterday. It was Pot-Limit Hold'em/Omaha half and half. I was on that event for all three days, and Don just joined up to cover the last day. It was a great tournament, thankfully stacked with pros. By day three, we still had Allen Cunningham, Minh Ly, and Max Pescatori left standing to fight for the bracelet. In the end, it was the Italian Pirate, Max Pescatori who plundered the title, winning almost $300,000 and his second gold bracelet. I was pulling for Allen Cunningham, and it was sweet to watch him run a final table. Pescatori played like a beast though, and he seems like a great guy to boot. Starting sometime last week, I became his go-to source for those quick midday iPhone charging sessions. He's a nice guy.

Final tables are the best, because we were out of there before 11:00pm, and headed out for the night to celebrate Slippers' birthday. After a quick shower and shave, Don and I hit the Palms and began the process of trying to get into Moon, the club on the top floor of the Fantasy Tower at the Palms. Slippers was inside, but he came back out to help the process along. Being the god that he is, he smooth talked us past the velvet ropes, and into the party.

I'm not much of a club guy, but Moon is sick. I should have brought my camera, but that wasn't really what I was interested in at the time. Being that it's on the top floor, it is open-air over the dance floor. And when you step out to the two-tier balcony, you get to take in a hypnotizing view of the strip and the whole valley. Kickass club, for sure. Too bad the shots of Patron are $13, and Coronas are a whopping $8. Within no time flat, all in attendance were T-rashed though, and the night went off like a house on fire.

I'm paying for it today though. I got up around 3:00pm, got dressed, and headed sleepily to Chris' to chill and play a little online. We watched Tiger pull off a sick comeback on the 72nd hole of the US Open at Torrey Pines. Tiger got in trouble in the middle of his round today, his knee clearly bothering him. But he rescued two balls from big trouble on the last hole, and sunk a 15-foot birdie putt to force the 18-hole playoff tomorrow, which I will be glued to. When that was over, we went to Goldfinger's to have a couple brewskis and watch the Celtics game. Good place, cold beer, and surprisingly good food.

That's it for me though, it's all I can do. Now it's off to bed for as long as humanly possible, trying to repay last night's debts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home