Thursday, June 5, 2008

Back at the Rio

So... yeah these posts are likely going to get shorter as my spare time diminishes and my cumulative level of sleep deprivation increases. I did have the day off yesterday, but Event #2 cut into that heavily and forced me to be at work until just before 6:00am. On my day off.

With the ginormous field, it just wasn't possible to play down from 445 to 9 in one day. It got to be 4am and we still had three full tables left. The culprit in the whole operation is actually ESPN. They have a great deal of influence on the decisions made about play. Their filming schedule is so tight, and they want to film every final table this year to avoid missing something historic (see: Phil Hellmuth's 11th bracelet last year). The staff did try to work with the players, eventually. A vote was taken at one point whether to play on or quit, and it pushed 6-6. A revote was cast, and it came up 8-8. So we played on to 18 before they finally called it quits.

Today I was back at it, covering Event #7 - $2,000 NLHE. It was quite the shit show. Most of the pros decided to sleep in and come play Event #8 - $10,000 World Championship Mixed Game at 5:00pm instead. As a result, my field was full of no-names and wannabes. There were a few notables though: Men "The Master" Nguyen, Antonio Esfandiari, Joe Sebok, Bill Edler, Jonathan Little, Kathy Liebert, Huuuuumberto Brenes, and a trio of Trans -- Theo, Jimmy, and J.C.

Somehow, we got all the way from 1,592 players to 152 by the end of the day. Hopefully that will make for quick work tomorrow as we play down to nine. I get to cover this event all the way down to the final table. That should kick ass, regardless of who's left.

--

Last night, I played the 11:00pm $65 tourney at the Sahara. The blind structure was actually very decent for a small-buy-in tournament, but it did get awful quick in the third and fourth hours. There were 98 players and I finished 8th for a paltry $150, less the $20 for the dealers.

Which reminds me... I still need to scratch together a post about my big win last week... but it would be 5:00am, and the sky gets light early here in the west -- about a half hour ago, in fact. More on that win tomorrow, perhaps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home