Sunday, May 25, 2008

"If You Ever Get the Chance to Go to Dallas..."

"...Take it from me, pass it by." ~Jimmy Buffett


As we speak, I am sitting in the airport in Dallas/Fort Worth, with about an hour left before I'm leavin' on a jet plane for Sin City. The flight over here was uneventful -- the best kind of flight. I did have to pay a staggering $129 to check my luggage: $25 for checking a 2nd bag, $100 for my first bag weighing 88 pounds, and $4 (+ tip) for the kind lad who checked me in curbside. At least I didn't have to pay for my airfare, and hopefully I will be able to invoice PokerNews for these expenses as well. I managed to get a seat change to a spot in an exit row, something my long legs were thanking me for by the time we landed. Regardless of my seating assignment, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of leg and hip room in the MD-S80. From here to Vegas, it's a 757, my very favorite aircraft of the modern travel era.

As soon as we were wheels up from Raleigh, I was overcome by a certain sensation of relief and relaxation. I can't quite explain it, but I have been dying to get out of North Carolina for a couple months now. I have this craving to go elsewhere, any elsewhere at all, really. Like a pregnant woman craving a midnight bowl of chocolate ice cream. And it's not that I don't like North Carolina; at the very least, it's completely tolerable. There are most definitely worse places in the country to call home. And I don't think I need to move away from there necessarily. But something about it -- my living situation, my financial situation, or just my mental situation -- has been driving me absolutely bonkers.

*Interesting. They just made an announcement over the terminal intercom that there is about to be a worship service at 11am across from gate D21. It is Sunday in the south, you know. I don't think I'm going to make it...

Anyways, this time I have in the West will be a welcome respite from the mind-numbing monotony of Durham. I look very much forward to meeting new people, seeing old friends again, and working my ass off in an attempt to impress my new employers. Free time will be scarce, and I'm not exactly going to be glued to my computer on my days off. But I will try and keep updates and photos coming as my schedule and brain allows.

Finally, big ups to my boy Chris, who is picking me up from the airport. Chris has been an online poker buddy of mine since I started playing almost four years ago. He was one of the original members of our little posse that included him, myself, Dallas, Glenn, and the now-defunct Tim. I have met Dallas and Glenn on a few different occasions, and will see both of them at one point or another on this trip. But I still have yet to meet Chris. Despite that, he has graciously offered me a ride from the airport and a place to stay until I can move into Le
Château du PokerNews. Who could ask for more? Even more remarkably, his girlfriend recently got a job at the Duke Hospital, and he is moving to the Triangle at the beginning of July. So I am looking forward to meeting him now, and making him feel as at home in Raleigh as he has already made me feel in Vegas, and I'm not even there yet. Big ups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home