Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Moment of Gratitude

I want to take just a quick moment to acknowledge the passing of a wonderful summer. It is a rare thing for me when work and fun come together in such perfect unison, but my job this season has managed to strike a balance between the two and surpass all of my expectations. The whole process was an incredibly rewarding experience that did miraculous things for my state of mind. Heading in, I was in dire need of a change of scenery and a change of direction, and this summer accomplished both of those goals emphatically. The aforementioned work and fun were both present in quantities that I would not have anticipated going into the Series. As I look back to the start of it all, I can still just barely remember the feelings of uncertainty and speculation I had as I began my job. It wasn't long though before I adjusted to the style and pace of what was required of me and settled into my role on the team. It quickly became routine, almost habit, and I was perfectly at home sitting in my chair of observation on the rail.

I'd like to thank the entire PokerNews staff for making this summer one that I will look back on with a fondness for a long time. My three bosses -- John, Garry, and Chris -- were constantly accessible and eager to do anything in their power to make things run smoothly for myself and the others. I only hope that my performance was up to their expectations, because their leadership and directing was well-ahead of what I anticipated. It was an absolute joy to work for these fine people, and I hope that our cooperative relationship continues well into the future.

The rest of the PokerNews gang was equally enjoyable to be around. When you spend 16 hours a day with a small group of people, it can be difficult to keep things interesting and stay clear of each others' increasingly sleep-deprived tempers. With just one exception, I think I got along with everyone and conjured up some friendships that figure to be long-lasting. We had our share of stresses and strains, understandable considering the fast-paced work environment we were dealing with. But those people were also responsible for some truly great times, both inside and out of the Amazon Room. The combination of the right place and the right people made for one fantastic ride.

As the clock on my first WSOP runs out, I am already looking forward to the next one, and the chance to spend some more time with my new extended family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home