Tuesday, September 23, 2008

You Want Mint For Pillow?

I've been doing some housekeeping lately -- both literally and figuratively -- getting things back into their proper places so that my ADD brain doesn't go on the fritz. I cleaned my bedroom, my desk, and my office/den/sports lounge thoroughly. I built a new PC and there is nothing better than a clean machine. I have been moving all the files, photos, and videos over from the old box and re-organizing them like a fiend. I just washed, waxed, and detailed my car from top to bottom. I've been going through old clothes and old CD's, and getting rid of the vast majority of both. I cleaned all my camera gear. I even washed behind my ears and scrubbed my elbows this morning.

This cleaning and organizing bonanza is sort of a microcosm of a sort of change I am trying to perpetuate in my entire being. I have difficulty focusing on my goals fully if I am immersed in a cluttered room, or in a cluttered lifestyle. Simplicity is key for the way I work, as is organization. Part of my ADD (or maybe it's OCD) ways, like I said. But anyways, I finally have a little stretch of time at home, and I am using it to get all un-cluttered from the summer, and to get re-acquainted with what's important and meanginful to me.

Right off the bat, I need to write more, and I have geared my organizing efforts to that end. Along with the new PC, I have simplified my desk area and tried to create an environment where ideas flow freely from my brain through my keyboard and out into the dark corners of cyberspace. I think I have succeded, as I am already seeing an increase in motivation -- and hence productivity.

Expect content for this blog to be much more regular in the coming months. I'm going to try and keep it full of lots of miscellaneous crap, basically. So if you're interested in poker, photography, football and sports in general, travel, food, news, humor, or any of my senseless drivel about life and the pursuit of happiness, you won't want to miss one captivating word that I have to say. For I am, of course, all knowing..

In addition, now that hockey season is nearly upon us, The Coldest Blog in Town is up and running once again. On that side, I'll be keeping myself and hundreds of billions of riveted, loyal readers informed on all the Carolina Hurricanes' team news, as well as providing recaps and analysis of all the games. With any luck, it will be packed with stories well into next summer as the 'Canes hope to fight off the injury bug and rise to postseason greatness once again. We've got a long way to go before we worry about that though.

Another of my big goals for the near future is to update my Zenfolio gallery. You can't even imagine how many photos I have to filter, process, and upload -- I would guess about 15,000 of them. There are some really meaningful ones from the summer though, and I want to have a place to display them. Zenfolio is an elegant web gallery, and I will be adding some of my shots to that space as time permits. Check back soon for a link when I open things up.

As always, these improvements are solely for my own enjoyment and satisfaction. These blogs are a writing excercise for me, a tool that I use to both empty my brain of that maligned clutter and to learn more about my writing style and how to convey my ideas best in text form. Similarly, my Zenfolio gallery will be a place where I can publish my work, and a place where I can critique myself and be critiqued by others. It is just a learning tool as I strive to attain a higher level of photographic aptitude. Along the way though, I do hope you are entertained or offended or made to laugh by my thoughts and pictures. And please, comments and criticism are always encouraged!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home